By Andrew Dalton and Morgan Lee
SANTA FE, NM – Prosecutors in New Mexico plan to drop an involuntary manslaughter charge against Alec Baldwin in the fatal 2021 shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the western movie “Rust,” Baldwin’s lawyers said Thursday.
“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin, and we call for a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding this tragic accident,” Baldwin’s attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro said in a statement.
The prosecutor did not immediately comment on the case. It was not immediately clear if charges could be refiled.
Baldwin and the film’s gun handler Hannah Gutierrez-Reed were both charged with involuntary manslaughter in the shooting.
Baldwin pointed a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal when the gun was off, killing Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has said the gun went off accidentally and that he did not pull the trigger. A forensic report by the FBI found that the weapon could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled.
The case against Baldwin had already been reduced. A weapons charge that would have meant a much longer sentence had already been dismissed, and the first special prosecutor in the case resigned.
It was not immediately clear whether charges against Gutierrez-Reed would also be dropped.
“Rust” security coordinator and assistant director David Halls pleaded no contest in March to a conviction for unsafe handling of a firearm and a suspended sentence of six months’ probation.