The fastest way to get caught up on the most important things happening today in Philadelphia.
This post was contributed by a community member.
Hello Philadelphia! I’m here in your inbox as usual to tell you everything you need to know about what’s happening around town, including updates on:
- A man allegedly shot three women across the street from Temple University’s football field.
- Boathouse Row will go dark for the rest of the year as a major re-lighting project takes place on the historic waterfront.
- In Madness of March, South Carolina coach Dawn Staley shows off her Philly roots.
But first today’s weather:
Sunny and milder. High: 55 Low: 30.
🏘️ Want to set yourself apart from other Philadelphia real estate agents? Partner with Philadelphia Patch and gain access to a targeted, engaged audience through our premium newsletter sponsorships. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Philadelphia:
- It was a messy, horrible shootout against Temple University’s Edberg-Olson Football Complex early Sunday. The police have a man, the suspected shooter, in custody. He is accused of shooting three women after being kicked out of a bar. A security guard also returned fire, also hitting the shooter. (Philadelphia Patch)
- For the next eight months, the iconic and historic Boathouse Row will be dark. The lighting over the Schuylkill River is closed for repairs and renovations. The project will be completed with 6,400 individual LED lights and 16 million color combinations. (WPVI-TV)
- Although Philadelphia icon and basketball legend Dawn Staley is the coach of South Carolina, the Philly icon wore a Cheyney University jersey on the court during the NCAA’s March Madness. Staley knew all eyes would be on her so she wore the HBCU jersey and said she was “really honored” to wear Yolanda Laney’s jersey and represent Cheyney University and its legendary coach, C. Vivian Stringer. (inquirer.com)
Today in Philadelphia:
- Spring Equinox Event @ W Philadelphia w/ Luna Maye (6pm)
- Free Comedy Show Open Mic (19:30)
From my notebook:
- Just as the cheesesteak, hoagie and beating Tom Brady in a Super Bowl are universally known as “a Philly thing” – so is the term “day load” which many believe was invented by a guy drinking himself away during a sunny day in a dark tap room in Philadelphia. Well, now “day loading” got its due this past weekend- (Wooder Ice)
- FYI, if you’re not excited about the upcoming Phillies season, watch this-Yes, that’s Trea Turner killing an absolute bomb for Team USA against Venezuela. (Crossing wide).
- There are dozens and dozens of Philadelphians running for City Council seats in the May Primary, and while Patch won’t get political, Jimmy Harrity, a new councilman gets our vote for the best fundraiser yet….(20+)( Drag Queens for Councilman Harrity | Facebook)
- Hey – did you hear that sound? Neither did we, but thousands of aging rock fans filled up Wells Fargo Center for Bruce Springsteen as the only Jersey guy we like come across the river to play for us and let’s reminisce about the glory days. Here’s to the boss – you still got it and we want it till we die. (msn.com)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
Selected concerts and services:
Thanks for following along and staying informed! See you soon.
— Patty-Pat Kozlowski
About Me: Patty-Pat Kozlowski has been writing community news and Philly-centric Op/Eds for over 20 years. A Jill of all trades, she has been a stand-up comedian, chef, DJ, newspaper editor, food trucker and Parks Director for Philadelphia Parks & Rec as well as a community relations/legislative assistant for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and the Philadelphia City Council.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Philadelphia Patch newsletter? Contact me at email@example.com